SummerSlam always feels like the true heartbeat of wrestling season - the moment when storylines collide, rivalries peak, and the energy in the arena becomes its own living thing. Night 1 carried that familiar electricity, the kind that makes you lean forward before the first entrance evwen hits. There's something special about settling in for the opening bell, knowing you're about to witness the beginning of a two-night storm.
Before the first match even started, the tone was set: loud crowd, bright lights, and that unmistakable SummerSlam buzz.
There's nothing quite like the start of a two-night SummerSlam, and our home felt alive with it. We had our whole crew gathered - me, Ryan, Mack, and Mads all squeezed around the coffee table, snacks piled high, everyone buzzing with predictions and pre-match hype. Angel and Chrhis were right there with us through Discord in our "In the Ring" channel, firing off their live play-by-play reactions and bold match calls before the first entrance even hit. This is our tradition for every PLE, but there's something about SummerSlam - especially a two-night one - that makes the room feel electic. Night 1 always feels like the moment the fuse is lit, and we were all ready for the spark.
Matches:
Liv Morgan v Iyo Sky
While I was hoping for a different outcome, Liv Morgan retained. I mean, I get it. BUT... If you're gonna claim to be the best in the world, you must put that title on the line. Liv has defended now ONE TIME in the over 100 days she's held the title. During the post show she claimed it was because the locker room is afraid to step up to her. However, I'm thinking maybe it has more to do with how she's been cursed multiple times by Danhausen...
The Bloodline v Royce Keys, Solo Sikoa, and LA KnightThe storyline for this match was just great! The bloodline members having to report back to the OTC that they'd failed, once again, to resolve what he'd assigned them is going to be one of my favorite stories to continu watching. Again, I was hoping for a different outcome but it will be interesting to see what happens with LA Knight and Royce Keys now that this match is over.
Gunther v Nick AldisNick Aldis - YOU'VE STILL GOT IT! This was a great match! No Nick didn't win. Yes it was sad for me. But it opened the door for later in the show him handing HHH his resignation which got ripped up and he was reinstated as Smackdown GM. I think this was one of those matches where it had to happen to show Nick that he's still got it and to show Gunther that someone else can go toe to toe with him.
Fatal Influence v The Bellas and PaigeIt wasn't the match that sticks with me. Yes Fatal Influence won. I'm in the "who cares" crowd on that. The real icing on the proverbial cake was that The Bella's turned on Paige at the end of their match. SAY WHAT? Nikki - she stepped up when you literally couldn't. TEAM PAIGE!
Cody Rhodes v CM PunkWhat a match this was from bell to bell as we all thought it would be. And who knew Punk could FLY! The two of them went pillar to post. This one was one of those that no matter the outcome I would have been happy. I love both of these men so much. They have had amazing stories and to see friendes (brothers) go toe to toe, was always goign to be great. Love for Punk that he won, can't wait to see what is next for Cody. I personally think they are setting it up for Cody to turn heel and I can't wait for that!
Oba Femi v Brock LesnarThe match that tore down the house - literally. The moment that Oba took a tombstone piledriver into the wood was just HOLY CRAP! Then for Brock to lose was like a door closing on one amazing career. When he came back to the ring and pulled Oba in to tell him "I am the past, you are the future" it just felt like he's done. But then Brock does what Brock wants to do when he wants to do it so we will have to see about that.
If I'm being honest, wrestling has always mirrored real life in its own way - perseverance, rivalry, redemption, even grit. Night 1 we saw the turning of the page with Brock and Oba and that reminded me of how we often walk through similar arcs in our own seasons.
As the dust settled on the night, I was reminded that there's always the turning of the guard just like the calendar turns. We had one superstar basically cement his infant-sized legacy while a beast seemingly said "I'm done" and a GM reinstated after proving that he could wrestle with the best of them.
Night 1 felt like the spark - the ignition point for everything that's about to unfold. The energy, the storytelling, the surprises... it all set the stage for a second night that promises to be even bigger.
Tomorrow, the bell rings again. And if tonight was the spark, tomorrow will be the fire!

Comments
Post a Comment