Skip to main content

Finding your Summer Rhythm: Small Practices that Bring Peace

 Summer has a way of speeding up just as my soul is asking to slow down. For years, our summers were a gentle mix of quiet days and small adventures, but lately they've taken on a fuller rhythm - wrestling schedules, Dungeons & Dragons nights, weekend getaways, and our annual Fourth of July trip to the Cove. It's a good kind of full, the kind that comes from traditions we love and people we want to be with. But even good fullness needs balance. 


Somewhere in the middle of the noise and the fun, I've been learning to pay attention to the small practices that bring me back to myself. Music has become one of my anchors - soft background playlists while I write or work, something steady that keeps my mind from scattering. D&D nights and wrestling pay-per-views are a blast, but when I need grounding, I need something slower. Something quieter. Something that lets me breathe. 


One practice I'm leaning into this summer is free writing. No structure, no pressure, just letting the words come. It's amazing how much clarity rises to the surface when I stop trying to control the outcome and simply let myself create. 

A peaceful summer day for me looks simple: coffee, Bible, music, and watching the birds from my patio. There's something about the way they flit from branch to branch that reminds me to slow down, too. I'm hoping to lean into event planning this summer - especially as we prepare for our "Day in the Life of the Shire" event in September. It feels good to have something whimsical and creative to look forward to. 


Spiritually, the Lord has been teaching me about seasons - how each one has its own purpose, its own pace, its own invitation. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 has been echoing in my heart: "to everything there is a season..." I want to lean deeper into the study I'm writing this summer, not just to teach it well, but to receive everything God has for me in this season of my own life. 



Our family is already looking forward to spending Independence Day weekend in Hendersonville - the food, the music, the hiking, the waterfalls. It's one of those rare weekends where everyone finds something they love. For us, it's a chance to disconnect from the pace of everyday life and reconnect with each other. 


But if I'm honest, what I need most this summer is space. Space to craft. Space to sew. Space to be creative without a deadline. Space to rest without feeling guilting. It's been a challenging year, and I've come out the other side, I can feel how much my soul is craving time away from screens. I'm on the computer all day for work, so I'm learning to put it away at night and on weekends - to let my mind breathe again. 




So this summer, I'm choosing small practices that bring peace: 

  • slow mornings with coffee and Scripture
  • Music that softens the edges of the day
  • free writing without rules
  • crafting and sewing for the joy of it
  • planning something magical for September
  • protecting tech-free evenings
  • watching birds and remembering to slow down
None of these are big or flashy. But peace rarely comes from big or flashy things. it comes from the quiet choices we make every day - the ones that help us return to ourselves, to our families, and to the God who holds every season. 

This summer, I'm choosing to breathe a little deeper, move a little slower, and trust that God is already in the rhythm I'm learning to keep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenzie's day at school

Kenzie got off of the bus screaming, "Mom it snowed!" It was so cute. Then when I got into her backpack, I found her daily sheet with this on it... Kenzie had wrote her name (not perfect but she tried) and a note from the teacher above it saying "INDEPENDENT WRITING-- ONLY VERBAL PROMPTS!" I am so excited for her! We are definately getting somewhere. Then under the teacher comments part, I find... "SHE CAME IN TELLING ME IT WAS SNOWING-- SUPER EXCITED!" I too saw this when she got home! Construction Zone Newsletter Week 2 Dear Family, This week Kenzie will learn about solving problems. Using the topic "Build with Me," we will read stories about building things and working together to solve problems. You can help your child learn more by talking with him/her about things she/he is doing at school and the new letters and words that he/she is learning. Here are some ways that you can work with your child at home. Think and Talk: What did y...

city walk

What Your City Walk Means You are thoughtful and contemplative. You enjoy spending time alone with your thoughts. You are generally confident and friendly with strangers. You are well mannered and sociable. Money is very important to you. You like to have lots of nice things... and you don't care if you're being greedy. You are curious about ideas. If you had the means, you'd like to explore the whole world. The City Walk Personality Test

And WINTER is here!

I look out the window to see.... A BLANKET OF SNOW! It is covering my driveway, walkway, yard.... and we are expecting more this week! I think it is safe to say that winter has finally decided to come! Don't get me wrong, snow is pretty, but I don't like it because that means I have to drive in dangerous conditions! I would much rather be driving in tropical storm force winds and rain (I have done this! When all the hurricanes were going through Florida a couple of years ago!). Now on to other things... Saturday: I had a really busy day. I was at work and didn't think it would ever end. Admissions and falls and sending people to the hospital... stabalizing others and stuff that goes on in the health care centers all the time. Sunday: Zach forgot to add me back into the schedule, so I got off at 2pm. Rode home with Maxx since he lives in Jeffersonville and Ryan and the girls were going to be at his house anyway. When we got there we watched a little of the game an...